Good user experiences for all
What is web accessibility?
- and why is it important to you and your users?
When will my organisation be covered by web accessibility legislation?
”New” public websites
i.e. launched after 23-09-18 is covered by legislation as of 23-09-19
”Older” public websites
launched earlier than 23-09-18 was covered by the legislation as of 23-09-20
Public mobile apps
were covered as of 23-06-21
Private company websites
covered from June 2025
Why you should choose Novicell as a business partner
Accessibility testing of existing websites
Advice regarding accessibility
Development of accessible websites
Training of web editors
Service agreement regarding web accessibility
Checklist for those who work with web accessibility as an editor
Format your text correctly
• Use H1, H2, H3, bullet points, numbering and other formatting to make your pages easy to understand and scan
• Write short and simple sentences • Use headings and subheadings to create structure and meaning in your texts
Url and tags
• Give all pages a meaningful title and description so that it can be easily deduced what the page is about • Make sure that all urls on the website have a meaningful title
• Avoid links with titles such as "Read more" or "See here" • Keep descriptive link texts to 100 characters or less
• Don't create instructions based solely on position on the page
• Give images a descriptive and meaningful alt text, which explains the image for the blind and visually impaired for example • Avoid text on images, as it cannot be read by a digital assistant for example
Video and audio
• Make transcriptions of video and audio on your website • Make sure all videos have subtitles
• Ensure correct setup in Word or InDesign for example before exporting to PDF • Check that the PDF is not locked in a way that prevents, for example, a screen reader from being able to reproduce it for a user
High web availability provides:
Better user experience
Increases website traffic with better placement on search engines
Higher conversions rates
Higher rate of self-service users vs telephone and email exchanges
Selected companies we have helped with web development
Read some of the solutions here
Skechers is the world's third-largest footwear brand. All online sales to the Nordic market are handled through a new webshop.
Consolidation of all digital marketing activities increases brand value and sales performance
Convincing implementation of a PIM solution creates customer satisfaction and significant process optimizations
GreenDozer and Novicell have collaborated on a new e-commerce platform where surplus new goods within the construction, electrical, and plumbing sectors are sold at discounted prices. Read more.
The customer portal creates a 360-degree good customer experience around housing construction
WCAG (Web Content Accessibility Guidelines) checklist for the designer
• Ensure that all design and content follows a logical semantic structure • Please note that the reading order must be the same as the visual order on the page
Colours and contrast
• Ensure sufficient contrast between foreground and background • Foreground text must have sufficient contrast with background colours. This includes text on images, background gradients, buttons and other elements
Text and fonts
• Use real text rather than graphic text, as it can be read by screen readers and can be enlarged much better • Always use CSS for styling
• Avoid lines that are too long or too short as this lowers readability • The optimal line length for body text is between 50-60 characters per line
• Make sure links stand out visually in ways other than by just using colour • Design indicators that make it easy for keyboard users to determine if something is a link
Animation, video and audio
• Draw attention to image and media alternatives in your design • Avoid flashing animations and auto-playing content
Fields and forms
• Make sure input fields and forms have descriptive labels and instructions • Always display validation errors, error messages and offer the user instructions to correct any errors
• Makes it easy to identify interactive electrical elements such as links and buttons • Ensure that styles and naming of interactive elements are used consistently throughout the site
• Make it easy to navigate across the site in more than one way • Offer, for example, a website search and a sitemap • Help users understand where they are on a website or page by providing orientation markers such as breadcrumbs and clear headings
Guide to the best WCAG tools
There is a wide range of tools and digital tools that can help you in your work with web accessibility - regardless of whether you work with development, content or design. We have collected the best on this page. However, you should be aware that the automated tools, such as for checking WCAG compliance, only find approximately 30% of the challenges there may be with accessibility on your website. Therefore, the automated tools should always be supplemented with a qualitative and structured review.
Siteimprove Accessibility Checker
A simple plugin for Chrome. Install on the page you want to check and click the icon in your toolbar. Then you get an overview of the problems with web accessibility that the tool has detected divided into tasks for editor, webmaster, designer and developer respectively.
WAVE Web Accessibility Evaluation Tool
A range of tools that help you evaluate the accessibility of your website and give you a visual overview of the areas of your website that are not accessible.
Plugin for Chrome which consists of the tools Lens and TabTracker. Lens is a visual simulator that allows you to experience your website as if you were blind or partially blind. With TabTracker you can test whether your website's navigation can only be accessed using the keyboard.
With Contrast Checker, you can easily test the contrast ratio between the background colour and the foreground colour on your website.
Check my links
Chrome extension that checks your web page for dead or empty links.
Easily add subtitles to your videos via Youtube.
The A11 Project
A user-driven community where you'll find lots of practical guides and articles and tips for testing content.
The Acrobat tool makes it easy to create accessible PDF files and check the accessibility of existing PDF files.
Chrome browser extension that is easy to install and allows you to test screen reading on your website quickly and easily.
Find available colour palettes based on WCAG guidelines for text and background contrast ratios.
Colour Contrast Analyser
The Colour Contrast Analyser (CCA) helps you determine the readability of text and the contrast of visual elements such as graphics and visual indicators.
Link contrast checker
Check for correct contrast ratio between link colour and font colour with this tool.
Read more about related topics
Experiences, business, and brands - Usability yields results
We have expertise and extensive experience with front-end development
Novicell is a CMS-independent development company
Branding & Communication, sharpen your brand together with us